ACSS President Diana Strouth (left) with 2016 Wilbur Murra Award recipient Cathy Davis of the Arizona Geographic Alliance. Cathy was honored for her decades of service to the social studies education community.
The Awards Committee of the Arizona Council for the Social Studies needs your help! Each year, we showcase excellence in social studies teaching and learning in our state through our awards program. It’s time to nominate yourself or your colleagues for recognition.
- Robert J. Stahl Student Teacher Scholarship Award
- James Madison Memorial Fellowship Foundation Senior Fellows
- Gilder-Lehrman History Teacher of the Year Awards
- We the People:The Citizen and the Constitution State Competition Results
- Arizona Educational Foundation Teacher of the Year Awards
- NCGE Distinguished Teacher of the Year Awards
- ACSS Wilbur Murra Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Social Studies
- ACSS Isidore Starr Award for Outstanding Social Studies Teacher of the Year
- ACSS Great Moments in Teaching the Social Studies Awards
The Robert J. Stahl Student Teacher Scholarship Award has been established by the ACSS Board of Directors to support an Arizona pre-service student teacher who plans to enter the field of teaching K-12 social studies. It has been named after one of Arizona’s strongest supporters and proponent of the social studies, Professor Robert J. Stahl of Arizona State University. For many years Dr. Stahl has served the ACSS and the National Council for the Social Studies in many capacities, including having served as President of both organizations. This $1000.00 scholarship includes a year’s membership in both the ACSS and the NCSS and is intended to offset costs associated with the semester of student teaching. (Download the Stahl Scholarship Application).
We celebrate our Awards winners at a special luncheon in their honor at our October Annual Conference.
ACSS Award Forms:
- Wilbur Murra Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Social Studies
- Isidore Starr Award for the outstanding Social Studies Teacher of the Year
- Susanne Shafer Award for contributions to women’s studies
- “Great Moments In Social Studies” Awards, citing exemplary K 12 classroom experiences. Please note: “Great Moments” awards are given at the elementary, middle school, and high school levels. This application also requires a lesson plan to be completed using the template form (download the application here).
So nominate yourself or a deserving colleague today!!! Please send all nominations to the address below prior to September 15th. Thanks for helping us to highlight the best of Arizona Social Studies teaching and learning.
ACSS Awards Chair
P.O. Box 24839
Tempe, AZ 85285
Congratulations to the Recipients of the 2016 Awards Presented at the Arizona Council for the Social Studies Fall Conference:
Wilbur Murra Award for Lifetime Achievement in Social Studies Education
Cathy Davis, Arizona Geographic Alliance
Susanne Shafer Award for Contributions to Women’s Studies – Dr. Susan E. Gray
Department of History, Arizona State University
Isidore Starr Distinguished Social Studies Teacher Award – Dawn M. Schmidt
Desert Vista High School, Tempe Union High School District, Phoenix, AZ
2016 Great Moments in Social Studies Teaching Award
Kim Figueroa (Gilbert Elementary School, Gilbert Unified School District)
Lesson: “Cesar Chavez: American Hero”
Ana Parra (Gilbert Elementary School, Gilbert Unified School District)
Lesson: “Monarch Mystic Migration”
Sharlah Reynolds (Higley High School, Higley School District, Gilbert)
Lesson: “Genetically Modified Foods Project”
Robert J. Stahl Student Teacher Scholarship Award –