- This event has passed.
Mesa – GeoSpatial Workshop: Using Technology for Spatial Thinking and Analyzing Data
June 11 @ 9:00 am - June 13 @ 4:00 pm
GeoSpatial Workshop: Using Technology for Spatial Thinking and Analyzing Data (Mesa)
(3 days, 2 nights) (Grades 2-HS)
Geographic Information Systems are commonplace in businesses and governmental agencies. The US Department of Labor Statistics reports that this career field has a higher than average potential for new jobs. So what is GIS? What can you do with GIS in your classroom? With online, free software, come see how you can use this technology to engage your students in problem solving and spatial thinking.
Instructors: Diane Godfrey and Karen Guerrero
Where: Mesa Community College, 1833 W Southern Ave, Mesa
SC26 – Social & Cultural Science Building
When: June 11-13, 2018 | 9:00 AM-4:00 PM each day
Deadline to register: Friday, June 1, 2018. Deadline to request accommodations: 6/1/2018. You must live at least 40 miles from MCC to qualify.
Cost: Free, but you must place a $40 deposit to assure your attendance at the event. It will be promptly refunded at the close of the workshop. If you do not attend, we will keep the deposit.
Who should attend: Teachers, grades 2 through HS. Limited to 20 participants.
What to expect: The purpose of this workshop is to enhance your teaching practices with strategies for building spatial thinking and analyzing data.
The workshop goals are to:
- Analyze data using mapping tools
- Build technical skills, confidence and digital resources for teaching with GIS
- Create a plan for implementing GIS in your classroom to enhance something you already teach
- Learn how GIS can empower your students to take action in their communities based on their GIS classroom experiences
Prerequisites (must check all to register):
- We have reliable, stable internet for student use at my school
- Technology is available for students to engage in online mapping activities at my school (e.g. computer lab, tablets, phones – with internet access)
- I have my own Wi-Fi enabled device to bring to the Workshop. Note: we recommend a laptop with a keyboard and an external mouse for the best experience, but a tablet can work. Ability to download and save files is a plus.
You will receive:
- Catered lunch each day
- 21 recertification hours. (7 per day)
- Participants will receive a $100 stipend for submitting a lesson plan following the workshop.
- Accommodations may be made for out of town participants.
This is a Bring Your Own Device event. A laptop with a keyboard and an external mouse is recommended for the best experience, but a tablet can work. Ability to download and save files is a plus.
Because we do not control the air conditioning, you might consider bringing a sweater (or a fan) depending on your needs
Post expires at 1:30pm on Monday December 31st, 2018